Saturday, July 15, 2017

0 Pt Veggie Button Soup!



When I feel bloated or yuck, or I've had a night before of unplanned eating, this is what I make to get back on track.

It's a sort of veggie button soup.  

I start digging through my fridge and pulling out every veggie I find.






Ingredients

2 cups cabbage, chopped

1.5 quarts broth of your choice

2 medium zucchini, chopped

1 red pepper, chopped

1 onion, diced

8 oz of mushrooms, sliced

1 regular carrot or 7 baby carrots, cut into thin rounds

1 (14.5 oz) can of fire roasted, diced tomatoes(or you can use the plain, diced tomatoes)

3 cloves of pressed, fresh garlic

1/2 tsp smoked paprika

1/4 tsp cayenne

1/2 tsp onion powder


Instructions

Using broth as needed to prevent scorching and sticking, saute the onion, red bell pepper, and carrot for 8 minutes or until the onions are done.  


Look at that lovely mirepoix(veggie saute mix)


Add in the broth, tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms, cabbage and spices.  

If you're using fresh garlic(& I really hope you are :) ) then take care when cooking this.

Garlic can actually burn quite easily.  If you put it in with the above pictured veggies on high heat to saute, it's going to burn before they're really done cooking.  

Fresh, sauteed garlic is heaven.  Burned garlic is yuck.  

I've burned it before myself so learn from my many mistakes, won't you?! :)





Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  

Simmer covered for 20 minutes to let the flavors blend.

Lastly, add in the zucchini and only cook this for 5-6 minutes or so.



I really feel that the zucchini should be cooked like pasta, al dente, meaning it is slightly firm.

Nothing tastes worse than over cooked, mushy zucchini!  

Plus when you cook your veggies to death they lose most of the nutritional value.  

Typically when colors peak they're done.

I will admit that I tend to cook my onions well done but that is because I don't like the taste of raw onion.  

You can really add or subtract about any veggie or spices you like.

That's why I call it my Veggie Button Soup.

Since I don't use oil there are no added points.

It's my detox-and-get-back-on-track soup.  

It's very soulfully nourishing too.  

I hope you enjoy it.



Happy Cooking!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...