Sunday, July 9, 2017

Orangetti Squash



I saw this gorgeous little squash at our local health food store recently.  

As always, I was intrigued because I'd never heard of this particular variety of squash and whenever I find a new veggie I must try it. 

What I found out is that this is very much like the traditional spaghetti squash you're probably familiar with.

The difference is in the color and shape which is decidedly more orange, thus the name, and a bit smaller.

I cooked this up the same way I do spaghetti squash but decreased the roasting time.


Cut it in half, scrape out the seeds and place face down on a sprayed and foil lined baking sheet.

Bake at 425 F for 45 minutes or until done.


Look at that beautiful orange coloring!  

It looks so rich and delicious!

But, ... if I'm being honest, while it was a tad richer in flavor, it didn't taste a whole lot different from the regular spaghetti squash.  

I'm still happy I tried it though.  

I love walking through farmer's markets and produce isles with a familiarity of all the veggies.  

It's like I speak veggie :)

So, I went ahead and made a turkey marinara to put over the top of it.  

You can find the recipe here.

This is what I eat when I'm really hungry and really low on points.  

Works like a charm ;)




And, it just feels good to eat homemade food.  

It's nourishing for mind and body.  

So, the next time you're out at the grocery store or farmer's market and you spot an unidentified fresh veggie(UFV), bring it home!

Look it up and cook with it.  Familiarize yourself with your new-to-you vegetable then you too can speak veggie.  


Happy Cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...