Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Savory Shiitake Mushrooms



One of my favorite treats is a plate of shiitake mushrooms.  

I know it may sound crazy, especially if you're not a mushroom fan, but I love them.

To me, they're like the filet mignon of the veggie world.  

Sadly, they're quite expensive so buying them is a rare treat.  

Because I love them so much I really didn't feel like diluting their magnificence mixed in with other foods.  

I just wanted to savor their amazing, delicious, buttery, soft flavor.  


Ingredients

8 oz of shiitake mushrooms

2 Tbsp chicken broth, or broth of your choice

1-2 Tbsp soy sauce

2 tsp oyster sauce

2 Tbsp dry sherry

1 tsp of butter(or you could substitute sesame oil)

1 clove pressed garlic







I simply washed them off, patted them dry and then sliced them up.

I put the butter in a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray and then added in the mushrooms.





Then I added all of the remaining ingredients.  Stir fry these on medium heat, stirring frequently.  




The result is a little bit of heaven.  

This is one serving for me. :)  It comes out to 4 pts per serving, which seems like a lot but for me it was totally worth it tonight.  

You could try making these without the butter but, I just gotta tell ya, it wouldn't be the same.

I do think it would be fantastic with sesame oil but the points would probably be the same.  

I also want to point out that you can buy dried shiitake mushrooms and then rehydrate them however, in my experience the taste and texture is just not the same.  

They are more inexpensive however.  

This was a most luxurious and indulgent treat for me.  The texture is so fantastic.  

I'm convinced they're one of the best mushrooms on the planet.  

So, if  you like mushrooms and also like Asian flavors I highly recommend this little treat.  




Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...