Saturday, November 19, 2016

Turkey Chili With a Twist



Don't ya just love chili?

It's easy.

It's satisfying and can be relatively low in points depending on how you make it.

One of my only problems is that I love it so much I usually want to eat two huge bowls of it.

So this time when I made it I decided to do something kind of weird.

I added eggplant.

To me eggplant is really just like tofu.  It's pretty flavorless and basically tastes like whatever you put it with.

Without further adieu here is my Turkey Chili With a Twist

Ingredients

1 lb 99% lean ground turkey

6 oz of peeled and cubed eggplant

1 whole yellow onion diced

2 (15 oz) cans of diced tomatoes

1 (15 oz) can of red kidney beans drained and rinsed

Chili spice(I used at least 3 tablespoons but I like it spicy)  add to taste

Cumin 1 Tbsp

Turmeric 1 tsp  (this is so good for you and in small bits you don't really taste it but it punches up the color)

Garlic 2 cloves minced

First I saute the onion with broth(omitting the olive oil to save points) for 12 minutes or until well done.  Then add the garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
Next add the turkey meat and cook until done.





At this point I add my spices to taste.  Then I threw everything else in, the eggplant, tomatoes and beans.



I simmered this covered for at least 25 minutes.  The eggplant will shrink down and really start to absorb the flavors with time.

The verdict?

The flavor is totally unchanged.  It's only the texture that was a little different with the eggplant thrown in.
Next time I'll probably cut the eggplant up into smaller 1/2 inch pieces or smaller.  It will cook faster, blend better and the texture will probably be more even.

I also forgot to add red bell pepper!  I always add this to my chili but I just forgot this time.  I missed it.

This comes to 5 Smart Points for 1/4 of the whole batch.



The extra veggie, namely the eggplant, bulks this up even more so I don't feel like overeating on this.

Overall, it's a win!

Happy Cooking!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...