Friday, November 4, 2016

Slow Cooker Indian Turkey and Peas



I am so excited to announce that I've just picked up the new Skinnytaste Fast and Slow Cookbook



This is the first recipe I'm making from this new cookbook.  




Time to open up the spice drawer.  Indian food is all about bold, beautiful flavors.  





First things first- this recipe is actually called Slow Cooker Indian Chicken and Peas but I didn't have ground chicken so I used ground turkey.

Ingredients

2 tsp ghee or unsalted butter

1 medium onion, finely chopped

3 cloves of minced garlic

1 tsp grated fresh ginger(I used a pinch of dry ground ginger)

1 lb ground chicken(or turkey in my case)

1 tsp kosher salt

3/4 cup canned tomato sauce

4 Tbsp fresh cilantro(mine had already gone to seed so I used 1/2 tsp dried cilantro-I don't know if that's the correct conversion, it's just what I did)

1 fresh jalepeno or other chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped

3/4 tsp ground coriander

3/4 tsp ground cumin

3/4 tsp chili powder

3/4 tsp ground turmeric

3/4 tsp garam masala(see yesterdays' quick recipe for this if you don't want to buy it)

3/4 tsp ground cinnamon  

1 bay leaf

3/4 cup frozen peas


Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Saute the onion for 6-8 minutes.  Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes.  
Add the ground chicken(or turkey) and salt and cook 5-6 minutes.  






Place this into the slow cooker and add tomato sauce, 1/4 cup water, 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, jalapeno, coriander, cumin, chili powder, tumeric, garam masala, cinnamon, and a bay leaf.  Stir.






Cover and cook either on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.  Add the peas during the last 30 minutes of cooking.  

Guess who forgot to add her peas!!!!  Geesh!

I was taking my first bite before I noticed so I just threw them in and it was fine.  

Don't forget to take out the bay leaf before serving too.  At least that's one is big enough that it's hard to forget.  ;)  

This recipe serves 6.  It comes out to 4 pts per serving.  

I chose to serve this with an additional 1/2 cup of jasmine rice per serving which brings it to 6 total points in the recipe builder though if you add it separately it's 5 pts.  

My thoughts on this recipe~

The flavor was fantastic and it wasn't too high in points.  

The portions were reasonable, not huge but not too small.

The thing I didn't like was that it was too dry.  I'm not sure if I did something wrong as her picture in the book makes it look almost like she has a sauce.  

It might be because I have a large crock-pot.  

So word to the wise, if you have a large crock-pot too make sure you add in more liquid.  

It scorched my white crock-pot and it took some soaking to get it cleaned.   

Would I make this again?

Definitely.  I'll just make some adjustments.  

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...