Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Weight Watchers Zucchini Lasagna



I had a new WW buddy give me this recipe the other day.

It's very simple, doesn't use a lot of ingredients and is very affordable.

I did add a bit to this however, but if you follow me at all you know that's par for the course.

I change almost every recipe to suit my tastes.

I've made zucchini lasagnas before but I've never cubed it and so that's pretty interesting.

I actually like the idea because previously I've cut them into lengthwise thin strips.  It looks nice, more like a faux lasagna noodle, but it doesn't always cut well.

This is functionally easier to cube too.

On with the show!


Ingredients

1 lb 93% lean ground chicken(18 pts)

3 cups no sugar added, marinara(16 pts) I made my own to save points!

2 cups 1% cottage cheese(7 pts)

3 1/2 cups uncooked zucchini, cut into bite sized cubes(0 pts)

1 egg(2 pts)

Additional ingredients on my list:

1 (14.5 oz can diced tomatoes)

1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce

1 yellow onion, diced

4 cloves fresh garlic, pressed(or minced)

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp Italian seasoning

1 Tbsp whole wheat flour(1 pt)

2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese(2 pts)

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese(9 pts)

Broth of choice


Instructions

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Brown and crumble chicken.  Once cooked pour the jar of spaghetti sauce over the meat and mix together and set aside.

***I did this differently.***  I sauteed the onion and garlic and then added the chicken to this.



Then I added in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and all the spices.



Let this simmer on low medium heat for 20 minutes or so.

In a separate bowl mix together the egg and cottage cheese.



For my variation I also added in flour and grated Parmesan cheese to the egg mixture.

I used a 9 x 13 pan which was a bit large for this amount but it still worked out.




The instructions on this recipe say to start with the meat sauce and layer the zucchini, then cottage cheese mixture.  Continue layering and end with the meat sauce on top.

I put a scant amount of the meat mix on the bottom then evenly spread all the zucchini.

Next I evenly spread all of the cheese mixture on top of that.



Top that with the remaining meat mixture and sprinkle the mozzarella on top.



Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through.



This recipe serves six.  

Whether you follow the original recipe or my version the points actually come out the same.

This is 7 points per serving.  

This tasted fantastic! 

Another Weight Watcher win! 

It was a little soupy but that is a consistent issue with any zucchini lasagna I've ever made because it's such a moist vegetable. 

I've thought about pre-cooking the zucchini in lengthwise slices in the oven to reduce the moisture but the truth is that it's really not that big of a deal to my husband and I.

We ate ours in a bowl but it was fantastic and, so good in fact, that between me and my family it was gone before I had good pictures of an individual slice!

Now if that doesn't say delicious I don't know what does! :)

Thanks to my WW buddy for this recipe. 




Happy Cooking!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...