Sunday, October 22, 2017

Are You Party Ready?


This past weekend my family hosted a Fall Festival at our house.

This has become an annual tradition between my husband's close circle of friends and our families.

It's something I love, but like all holidays, it takes a bit of planning.

I told myself I wasn't going to go overboard in cooking and cleaning but it seemed to happen anyway and I was okay with it in the end.

I spent 4-5 hours cleaning and almost the same cooking for the crowd.

It was a lot like preparing for hosting Thanksgiving at our house.

I was up early and started cooking and prepping then. 

I had previously made skinnytaste pumpkin butter which I used in making homemade granola to serve atop the pumpkin custards one of our friends brought.

My husband smoked burgers and I bought the 2 pt Sara Lee buns for those. 

Our friends also brought pumpkin spice chili with sweet potatoes. 

I have to admit though I thought it would taste ghastly it was quite good and relatively clean.

I also set out the above pictured tray of fresh fruits and vegetables. 

There was chipotle bacon dip and artichoke dip and lots and lots of varieties of chips(aka Carrie's crack).

What I can tell you is that I kept my 32 oz water bottle close by and kept drinking throughout the day and night.

That alone was huge.  In addition I ate almost a whole can of plain artichokes while I was making the dip but ultimately didn't eat any of the chipotle bacon dip and only 2 Tbsp of the artichoke dip.

I snacked on the fresh veggies and fruit throughout the morning and early afternoon such that by the time the party came I was only slightly hungry.

I had smaller portions of everything and felt quite satisfied.

I sent all the chips home with our friends, much to my husband's chagrin, but didn't get rid of all the granola and ended up eating too much of it later that night when I was up by myself unwinding.

We also had lots of non-nutritive fun.  My clever and crafty husband organized pumpkin archery in which we used pumpkins for target practice.



Everyone loved that and some of the kids bested us adults.

My son got a shot in through the stem of the pumpkin.  He didn't intentionally aim for the stem but was tickled pink as you can imagine. 

There was also a hayride for the kids and my husband made this cute pumpkin carving and small rice ball ghosties to serve as a bean bags for a bean bag toss through the pumpkin mouths.





What I've found over the years is that typically on the day of the event I don't typically do too bad.

We talk about it at meetings and plan for it and anticipate it and we feel so good when we succeed that special day.

However, the trouble usually comes AFTER the big day.  It's when everyone's gone home and we're pooped out from traveling or cooking and cleaning and all the holiday cheer.  

That's when it's tough.  I've learned that more than ever before do I need to get trigger foods out of the house after the party.

I've also learned that I need to have pre-made foods I can easily warm up after or I'm going to binge by grazing continuously.  

I also think having some type of self care ritual after the party or holiday is a great idea.

Treating yourself to a massage or a hot bath with scented candles and nice music or other quiet time.

After the adrenaline rush there is a huge let down and we end up feeling exhausted.  It's great to set yourself up to be cared for when that hits or you'll end up trying to find solace in food.   

Well, at least that's what I do.  

So, as you plan for the holidays, which are upon us, I encourage you to give just as much thought and attention to the time after.

And may you and your loved ones have a very safe, healthy and Happy Holiday Season. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...