Friday, October 27, 2017

Fall Food and Sweet Surprises






The other day my husband came home with a kabocha squash and said "Honey, can you make that stew I love".

This recipe is vegan mind you. 

Never did I think my husband would have a favorite vegan recipe that he'd be begging me to make but we both LOVE this one!

This is one of my Why's- because when you keep practicing healthy cooking it actually starts to taste better than all the junk you've been eating for years.

You can read the post on this delightful stew from Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet here.

I'll also give you my small changes in my recipe iteration below~


Black Bean and Kabocha Squash Stew

Ingredients


1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, thoroughly rinsed

1 inch piece of Kombu seaweed

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

4-5 cloves thinly sliced fresh garlic

1 medium to large yellow onion, chopped

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp cumin

Sea salt

Pinch of red pepper flakes

2 cans diced tomatoes

1/2 kabocha squash cut into one inch pieces

1 cup mirin

2 tsp white miso

2 celery stalks, diced


Instructions

Place oil in the bottom of a large stock pot and bring to medium high heat.

Saute onion for 4-5 minutes and then add in the garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin, salt and chili powder.

Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly so you don't burn your precious garlic.

Add in the tomatoes, squash, mirin, water, kombu and simmer for 20-25 minutes.

Next ladle out around 1 cup of the juice and put it in a small bowl.

Mix it well with the miso and then add it back to the pan.

Remember, you don't want to ever boil your miso!  It kills the precious probiotics.

Finally add in the beans and celery and Voila!

You're done.

This is a mixture of smoky, sweet and spicy all in one bowl.

It's also incredibly hearty, perfect for a cool, Fall day.


Happy Cooking!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...