Sunday, October 29, 2017

Creamy Chicken Pot Pie



This past week has been trying.  

We've had several activities planned and in the midst of all of that my husband caught a cold and my grandfather passed away.

The day after the funeral, Saturday, I was just plain pooped out.  

But, I wanted comfort food.  

It was also turning colder and really giving me that Autumn feeling so I wanted to find something plan friendly to make.

I started browsing on the internet and quickly decided I was craving chicken pot pie.

I mean, does anything say comfort like chicken pot pie?

So, I found this recipe on the WW site.

Although I didnt' look it up I think I've actually made this before but I remember thinking I'd change it next time.

So today I did change it just a bit and it was fantastic!

Here's a brief rundown on what I changed.

I omitted the cream cheese altogether.  I didn't think it added enough flavor to keep it and I just missed having milk in the recipe last time.

So out with the cream cheese and in with 1 cup of fat free half and half.

I also reduced the amount of broth from 3.5 cups to 2.5 cups to compensate.

As you've heard me say before, I just don't like the taste of thyme, so I nixed that as well.

If you like thyme by all means keep it and enjoy.  

And, I added 1/2 tsp garlic powder.  I mean, can you imagine no garlic in a recipe like this???

I also added more salt and pepper than it called for but again, it's added to taste.  You choose what works for you.

Get ready for some good comfort food....



Ingredients

1 1/2 lb chicken 

4 medium celery ribs, finely diced

5 tsp unsalted butter

4 large, raw carrots, diced(about 2 cups)

1 large yellow onion, chopped(about 11/4 cups)

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

2 1/2 cups chicken broth 

1 cup fat free half and half

1 cup frozen baby peas

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp garlic powder

8 oz reduced fat crescent rolls


Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400 F.  

Line a baking sheet with foil and place your individual ramekins or crocks on the sheet.

Place all of the butter in a large skillet.  

Add in the celery, carrot, onion and saute on medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables start to soften.


Reduce the heat and sprinkle vegetables with flour; cook, stirring, until vegetables are coated, about 1 minute.



Stir in broth; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.

Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add peas, salt, pepper and garlic.  Simmer, stirring occasionally until mixture is thickened and vegetables are just tender, about 8 minutes.

Stir in the chicken.



Next add in the milk and stir.  Let this simmer another 2-3 minutes.



Now add this evenly to 8 ramekins or individual crocks.

I only have a set of 4 so I had to do these in batches.  

Unroll the crescent dough and pull apart individual triangles.

Place one folded triangle over each crock.

Bake for 11-13 minutes or until crescent roll is lightly browned.  



This recipe serves 8 and still comes out to 7 pts per serving.  

Let me tell you what my husband said about these without my asking.

He said "These are as good as any pot pies I've had in any restaurant.  Well, really, they're better".

He grilled me on all the ingredients..."so there's carrots and peas and onions.  Any other vegetables?  What else was in here?..."

So, yes, they were that good.

You know how you feel when you're wanting something good, I mean really good comfort food? 

I get really fussy when I'm in those moods.

If I fix dinner or get something out and it's not good I'm in a terrible mood.

I know that sounds ridiculous but it's true.  

Ah, well, thus is the life of a foodie.

Anyway, I was in that mood and this totally satisfied me.

It satisfied my hunger, my need for comfort, delicious taste and staying on plan.

What a combo!

This is absolutely, undeniably a keeper for me.

I will be making this one again and likely for company too.  

I hope you enjoy it too!


Happy Cooking!
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...