Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Swoon Worthy! Weeklies Worthy! Wonderful Fennel!!!



My son and I had a fun date day last week.  In the morning before we started our day I told him the theme would be "Try something new!".

In keeping with that theme, the first thing we did was to head down to our favorite locally owned health food store.

I asked him to pick out one vegetable that he'd never tried before and later we'd fix it and taste it together.

He chose a fennel and, I might add, he was adamant that we use the entire vegetable, stalks and all.

So we used the delicate fronds for a salad, the stalks we placed under white fish when baking to infuse flavor, but the bulb we used differently.

In the past I've used a vegan recipe for braised fennel bulb that uses quite a bit of oil, soy milk and white miso.  It's delectable but point laden and takes 40 minutes or better.  Not good for the waistline at all.

So I decided to look around and find something new.  This is the recipe I decided to use.

I didn't have two fennel bulbs so I just used the one and I used fat free half and half in place of the milk.  I kept everything else the same.







Can I just say, you may need to sit down to eat this because I literally swooned when I tasted it!!!!

This is literally THE BEST way I've ever had fennel.  I'm saving this recipe for special events, when company is coming or for an extra special treat for myself when I have weeklies.

It is higher in points than about anything I usually make but it was absolutely worth it.

I also want to point out that I only ate about 1/2 cup of the milk.  There's way more milk there than you need but it has to have something to cook in.

Even before I start cooking this under pressure the smell of warm milk and nutmeg just suffused my whole house, just heavenly.

So if you like fennel I highly encourage you to try this at least once.

I felt absolutely decadent eating this dish.




Happy Cooking!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...