Friday, January 5, 2018

Creole Frittata



I LOVE ethnic foods and one of my favorites is good Creole Cuisine.  

One of my favorite recipes that I've personally made on this blog is Jambalaya.

You can find the recipe here.  

But, I'm going to attach a warning with it- it's good.  I mean it's really, really good.

Which means it's hard for me, and my husband I might add, to not binge on it.

Even though it's not bad point wise I just lose control when I make this dish and chow down like nobody's business.  

So I've been thinking of lower point ways I can still get the same taste without sacrificing flavor.

Since eggs are now FREE on the WW's FREEstyle program I decided to make it a Creole Frittata.

To make this I cut the spices in half and I used shrimp and turkey bacon as the only protein.  

I left out the thyme again because I personally don't like the taste of thyme.  I also elected to leave out bay leaves and Anaheim pepper because I didn't have it on hand and you know how lazy I am.  hee hee

I reduced a few of the ingredients so as not to overwhelm the eggs.  

Ingredients

12 pieces of uncooked Oscar Mayer turkey bacon(or whatever brand you like)

cooking spray

7 whole eggs

1 yellow onion, finely diced

2 stalks of celery finely diced

1 red bell pepper or 2 small sweet peppers, finely diced

10 oz of pre-cooked, tail off shrimp, (thawed if from frozen)

1 cup Better Than Bouillon Lobster Base(or chicken or vegetable broth)

Salt & pepper to taste

1/2 oz white wine

1 pinch of cayenne 

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp pre-roasted, minced garlic(I buy it in a jar)

1/2 tsp smoked paprika 

1/4 tsp oregano

1 tsp tomato paste

1/2 tsp soy sauce

1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce


Instructions

Preheat the oven to 375 F.  Get a large, 6 muffin tin and spray it with cooking spray.

Start lining each muffin cup with turkey bacon.  You'll curl one piece around horizontally and then cut a second piece in half and overlap these on the bottom to form a cup.







Then repeat with the remaining muffin cups.

In a large, non-stick skillet, add the onion, peppers, and celery and saute at least ten minutes, using the broth to prevent scorching or sticking to the pan.



Then add in what remains of the cup.  There should be some standing liquid.  



At this point add in the garlic and all the remaining spices(dry and wet) and stir well.  

Let this simmer for 10 minutes.  Now add in the shrimp and stir well.  



In a large bowl add in 7 eggs and whisk well.  



Add the egg mixture evenly to each muffin cup, filling about halfway.  

Note:  YOU WILL HAVE A LOT OF LEFTOVER SHRIMP MIXTURE!!! 

If you don't want to have a lot left over cut down how much you put in to begin with.

I ended up spooning the extra shrimp and spices over my cooked frittata muffin and it was great!

All the points come from the turkey bacon in this recipe.  

After filling you'll add in about 2 Tbsp of your filling.  



Bake these muffins for 30 minutes, checking at the 25 minute mark to make sure it isn't getting overcooked.  

When they're done they shouldn't shake or jiggle or look wet.  



These come out to 2 points a piece!



And, they were super yummy however, they didn't make me feel like bingeing.  

That is a total win!



This is where I topped it off with the extra shrimp and veggie mix!  So yummy!!!!




Happy Cooking!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...