Saturday, August 26, 2017

When Your Taste Buds Change




You know lately we've been talking in our meetings about learning to like vegetables.

I myself grew up with canned green beans.  My mom would keep bacon grease in a jar under the stove and add it in for flavor.

Granted I was also an incredibly picky eater so it was a lot on me but I didn't eat much in the way of fresh vegetables at all.

When I met my husband he was kind of shocked that I didn't.  

You see, his mother and sister both have their masters degree in horticulture and his mother always had a garden.

When he'd come home from school he'd walk straight to the garden and start munching.  

So when we met I didn't like vegetables at all.  They seemed more like a punishment.

But, I was determined to learn to like them and little by little I have.

I think part of making that transition was just trying to be open minded to trying new things.

I started watching this vegan cooking show on PBS called Christina Cooks.  I was so intrigued by all the strange ingredients she used, completely foreign to me.  

But, I couldn't stop watching it and then I found myself wanting to try it.  

And you know what?  There were a lot of things I did like.  

It didn't happen overnight but it did happen.  Now I love just about all vegetables and instead of eyeing new and unfamiliar veggies with disgust I get excited about trying them.

Recently though something odd happened.  

I started eating tomatoes.

Ask my mom and she'll tell you I've hated tomatoes my whole life.  Oh, I can stand to eat them cooked in casseroles and sauces but not raw.

So it was much to my surprise that out of the clear blue sky I started craving raw tomatoes!

I specifically got a craving for diced tomatoes in an egg white omelet.  

And so that's what I made and you know what?

I freaking loved it!!!!!

And it was only 1 pt!  Total win!

I used half a cup of liquid egg whites, spinach, pre-cooked mushrooms, a dash of garlic salt, a tsp of grated Parmesan and those little diced tomatoes.

Here's a peek~

























This was oh so good!  It really hit the spot.  And getting all this for 1 measly point?

Awesome!

I love eating omelets after dinner when I'm feeling snacky.

So, if you feel like you're never going to learn to like vegetables, take a look at me.

I never in my life thought I'd eat tomatoes but today I did and if that can happen ...

Anything can happen!

Here's to keeping an open mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...