Sunday, August 20, 2017

Asian Veggie Bowl



Today was one of those days where you kind of rummage through the fridge to figure out what you're gonna make.

I had bought myself some shiitake mushrooms, which I freaking LOVE, and I didn't want them to go bad so I knew I needed to get them used up.

I went into my pantry and pulled out some canned baby corn and water chestnuts I'd had on hand as well as various veggies and tofu in the fridge and threw it together.

Just a quick note about toasted sesame oil used here:  It is amazing!!!!  Toasted sesame oil is much more than functional, although being a high heat oil it can withstand a wok.



It's flavor is beyond compare.  This is one instance where the oil is absolutely part of the seasoning here.

This can be found at your local Asian store or health food store.

I'm finding it more and more at the regular grocery store too.

It's a little pricey but definitely worth the money and a little goes a long way.

The shiitakes are also admittedly pricey but it's something I splurge on once in a while because they too have an incomparable taste and texture.

The dried shiitakes are more affordable but, for me, they don't taste the same.

So, here's what I did~


Ingredients

3 Tbsp BRAGG aminos(or coconut aminos or soy sauce)

1 Tbsp oyster sauce

1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil

1 tsp rice wine vinegar

1 cup broth of choice(I used chicken broth)

1 medium zucchini, cut into large matchstick pieces(or whatever shape you prefer!)

1 yellow onion, diced

1/2 package (7 oz) package extra firm tofu, cut into one inch cubes

7 oz canned baby corn spears cut in half

2 oz water chestnuts, chopped

1 red bell pepper, diced

1 tsp minced roasted garlic(or regular garlic)

8 oz shiitake mushrooms(or button mushrooms or mushroom of preference)



Instructions

Place the toasted sesame oil in the skillet on medium high heat and throw in the onion and red bell pepper.







Saute on high for 7-10 min or until they're cooked well done.

While those veggies are cooking pull out a small bowl for the sauce.

Add broth, garlic, oyster sauce, BRAGG aminos(or soy sauce), rice vinegar and mix well.





I bought the pre-minced, jarred ROASTED garlic.  This was so much tastier than the regular kind.

Well worth it as this is a zero point flavor punch.

To your skillet add in the remainder of the veggies and tofu and stir.

Note- to get matchstick pieces cut the zucchini in an oblong pattern, then stack the slices and cut out the matchstick pieces.









It doesn't matter what shape you cut this into.  I just get bored of cutting them into the same shape every time and I thought this Asian dish would look pretty with matchsticks.





Now dump in the bowl of sauce and bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.



Stir and simmer this for another 7 minutes or until the veggies are tender(not mushy).

Let's talk points~

I set this to serve 2 which yields GINORMOUS servings!!!  

Each serving is only 4 points!!!  Woo hoo!

This is juicy enough to put in a bowl.

And, it was light, fresh and delicious!!!


Happy Cooking!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...