Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Skinnytaste Cherry Sorbet




Sadly, it's already back to school time.

The kids seem to go back earlier every year which makes the summers seem shorter and shorter.

As I sat back and evaluated everything we did this summer I realized there was one thing we hadn't done.

My son had asked me to make homemade sorbet.

So, today it's all about sorbet.

Before I go on I thought I'd share this enlightening article on the differences between sorbet and sherbet.

I have to admit I was raised pronouncing it "sherbert" and I'm very unlikely to give that up now.

Okay, the truth is that I'm just plain stubborn.

Anyway, today I'm doing a skinnytaste version of homemade cherry sorbet, which is the flavor my son chose.

I was admittedly feeling a bit lazy so I decided to use the frozen cherries so I didn't have to pit them.

Today I merely supervised my son while he cooked.

So, the credit goes to my son for making this tasty treat!


Here we go!


Instructions

2 lbs frozen cherries, thawed

1 cup water

2/3 cup sugar

1 tsp lemon juice


Instructions

Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.







Cook until the cherries are soft and cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.

Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.

Then refrigerate to chill thoroughly.



Pour everything from the saucepan into a Vitamix or blender and puree.




Then pour this mixture through a fine sieve.

Once chilled follow the instructions on your own personal ice cream maker to finish off.



This makes 1 pint per 1/2 cup serving.  

Each serving is 4 points.

This was delicious!

It's a little on the soft side so it will need to go in the freezer but we couldn't wait to try it so we ate it anyway.

It was like eating Dairy Queen's soft serve ice cream by texture.

The only thing I personally would do differently next time is to use less sugar.

I don't think it needs a lot but my son said he wouldn't change a thing.

To each one's own preference.  ;)


Happy Cooking!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...