Saturday, August 26, 2017

Rachael Ray's Lettuce Tacos




So, anyone who follows me(@clg12225) on CONNECT knows that 8/25/17 was my husband's birthday.

Before his birthday came along I asked him if he would want to go out to eat or if he wanted me to cook.

His response was "One of your healthy meals".  When I asked what dessert he wanted he said "something with fruit, maybe one of your crisps".

And so I ended up making Rachael Ray's lettuce tacos which are basically a lettuce wrap and Cooking Light's Cherry Almond Crisp.

The lettuce tacos are in her book Rachael Ray 365:  No Repeats; A Year of Deliciously Different Dinners.

I bought that book more than ten years ago.  I remember making the lettuce tacos when I was pregnant with my son and had gestational diabetes.

This is a tried and true recipe and it's super plan friendly.

I only made a few changes: 1) I substituted turkey for ground beef  2) I omitted the olive oil  3) I used a whole red bell pepper instead of a half of one  4) I added in a 4 oz can of precooked sliced mushrooms.


Ingredients

1 lb 90% lean ground turkey

1 yellow onion, diced

2 cloves minced garlic

1 red bell pepper, diced

1 (4 oz) can sliced mushrooms

2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 Tbsp chili powder

Salt & pepper to taste

1/2 cup tomato sauce

Broth of choice for cooking


Instructions

Spray your skillet with cooking spray and turn on to medium high heat.

Saute the onion and bell pepper using broth to prevent sticking and scorching.



Stir frequently and cook until well done, around 10 minutes.

Next add in the garlic and saute another 2 minutes.

Add the ground turkey to the mix and cook until browned.

Finally add in all the remaining ingredients- mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, tomato sauce.



Turn the heat down and simmer for five minutes or so.

Place these in a large leaf of ice burg lettuce to make your tacos.

Or you can do what I did and put it in a bowl.



These are so flavorful you don't really need cheese.

In fact, the truth is these were so insanely good my husband and I split this!!!!

Yikes!

He said, and I quote, "The only problem is that they're so good I want to eat the whole pan".

Yup.  They're that good.

So, I set this to serve 4 which comes out to 4 pts per serving.

Not bad, if you actually have only one serving!  lol

I'll let you see one picture of the crisp but I'm not giving you the recipe because this was not a low point wonder and it was unbelievably, dangerously delicious.

I had my parents come over to share the crisp and everyone but mom had two helpings!

After they were gone my husband told me that he couldn't seem to stop himself from sneaking back in there to eat "just one more" bite.



At the end of the evening out of a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish there was only about 1 cup leftover.

We all felt miserably full!

It reinforced how rotten I feel when I overindulge and reminded me of just how good I normally feel on plan.  

My health and how I feel are totally worth it.  

Next time I make either of these things I'm either going to portion down the recipe, give a bunch of it away or have loads more company over.  

It was still a great birthday for my husband I think.  

I even bought him this non-nutritive gift because, as he once said to me, "Just because I'm a guy doesn't mean I can't appreciate beauty". :)


Happy Cooking!













2 comments:

  1. Hi Carrie! Wonderful blog. I could so easily make the taco vegan too. Thanks.

    Tell your husband happy birthday for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! Yes, you could easily use crumbles, gardein, TVP or other product to make it vegan. Thank you! Hugs from all of us :) <3

      Delete

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...