Friday, December 15, 2017

Stuffed Peppers



Well, as you may have guessed by now I haven't been in the mood to cook lately.

Typically when I feel well rested and relaxed my mind always wonders to cooking and I get excited about what creations I can come up with next.

However, with the holidays, work, my son's school obligations and other family obligations, I'm just drained.

And, being drained has left me feeling completely uninspired, which is a frustrating place to be.

Admittedly it is much easier to eat healthfully when you cook.

The plus side is that I have found some store bought or restaurant items that are good and aren't too high in points.

It's something to file away for the future.

Recently I was browsing at Barnes & Noble(I know what you're thinking... shock?! lol) and I found this cookbook by Elisa Costantini.



It's stereotyping for me to say this but this lady just looks like a good cook.  

As I flipped through here I came upon a recipe she had for stuffed peppers that incorporated eggplant into the filling.  

I was intrigued for the first time in a long time.

So today I made her Stuffed Red Peppers recipe.  

Of course I changed it up to suit my palate and pantry. ;)


Ingredients

1 yellow onion, diced

1/2 cup diced celery(I used to large ribs)

1 1/2 cups eggplant, peeled and chopped

3 oz of 99% lean ground turkey(she calls for chopped ham steak but I wanted to use something free)

1 Tbsp dried parsley

3 Tbsp tomato paste

1 cup part skim mozzarella, shredded

1 cup Italian breadcrumbs

2 eggs

Salt and Pepper to taste

6 small to medium bell peppers, tops cut off and seeded

Broth of choice to cook with

Cooking spray


Instructions

Preheat your oven to 350 F.

Spray a non-stick skillet and to it add the onion, and celery.  Saute stirring frequently until tender, around 10 minutes.

Add broth as needed to prevent sticking or scorching.

Sprinkle with parsley, and stir in the eggplant and tomato paste.  Cook for another couple minutes.



Now add in the turkey and cook until it's browned.  Turn the heat down to medium low.



In a separate bowl, beat the two eggs.  Then add the cheese.  DO NOT ADD THE BREADCRUMBS UNTIL AFTER YOU'VE ADDED THE CHEESE AND MIXED IT WELL!!!!



I wasn't thinking and did this and it didn't incorporate as well, not to mention that I had a bread-ball by the time it was said and done.

Add the breadcrumb mixture to your meat mixture and stir well to incorporate.



Stuff each of the six peppers equally.  Since I didn't have six whole peppers I used the four I had and set aside the extra stuffing to use for later.  It will make for an easy dinner another night.  ;)

Place in a casserole dish.  Add 4 Tablespoons of water to the bottom of the dish.

I also like to use scrunched up aluminum foil to the dish between the peppers to help them stand upright.



Bake this uncovered for one hour.

I set this to serve 6.  One stuffed pepper per serving which comes out to 4 points.

This was fantastic!  It really hit the comfort food spot.

I think it would also be good with the ham or beef.  Truly all of them would go well with this mix.

It was definitely worth the work today and boy is my husband going to be happy I'm cooking again! lol



Happy Cooking!





























No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...