Monday, November 13, 2017

Skinnytaste Brussels Sprouts Gratin



I've been thinking ahead to Thanksgiving and looking for new recipe ideas.

In my search I came across this recipe from skinnytaste.

Let me just say that pretty much every recipe I've ever tried from that website is good.

In fact, I own both of her cookbooks.  

That woman has quite a knack for making healthy foods taste great!

They are sometimes more time intensive than Hungry Girl recipes but they're always worth it.


Ingredients

16 oz of Brussels sprouts, trimmed of outer leaves and cut in half

1/4 tsp kosher salt

Black pepper to taste

Olive oil spray

1/2 tsp butter

1/3 cup chopped shallots(I used one whole diced yellow onion instead)

2 tsp all purpose flour

3/4 cup fat free milk

1 tsp fresh thyme(I omitted this because I don't like the taste of thyme)

1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

2 oz grated Gruyere cheese, divided(I used Swiss cheese)

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400 F.  I didn't have an 8x12 pan so I used a 9x13 casserole pan.

Spray your casserole pan with olive oil spray.  Add the Brussels sprouts and season with salt and pepper.





Spray more olive oil spray over the Brussels and bake in the lower third of the oven for 15 minutes.

Toss them and then bake another 10 minutes.  




While the Brussels are roasting place a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add the butter.

After melted add in the shallots or onions depending on what you're using.  Cook for 8-10 minutes or until well done.

Next add in the flour to make a roux and cook another couple minutes stirring continuously.  



Add in the milk and cook, stirring frequently, for another 4 minutes or until it's well incorporated.

Now add in the grated Parmesan, thyme(if you're using it-I'm not) and half of the Swiss cheese.  Stir to blend and cook for another 3-4 minutes.  





Pour this mixture over your Brussels sprouts and add on the remaining 1 oz of Swiss cheese.





Bake uncovered for 15 minutes or until the cheese is well melted brown and bubbly.  

This recipe serves 6(1/2 cup per serving) and comes out to 3 pts per serving.

So, my only negative on this is that the Brussels really cooked down a lot and I ended up putting them into a square pan after roasting but you can see it looks much smaller. 

I think when I make this again(& I certainly will) I will nearly double the amount of Brussels I add in.

The taste?

FANTASTIC!!!

Hands down this is THE BEST Brussels sprouts recipe I have ever had ever!!!

My husband loved it too.  

Again, the only problem for me was the portion size.  A half cup is not a lot for this girl so next time I'm bulking it up with more Brussels.

This recipe is still a keeper and will be a great addition to our family's Thanksgiving Day Feast.



Happy Cooking!


2 comments:

  1. I was thinking about making this for Thanksgiving too! Thanks for testing it out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet friend! Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I wish you and your family many Blessings!

      Delete

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...