Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving!

This year was the first year that I can remember that I've finally spoken up for myself in regards to our holiday plans.

Last weekend I went on a girl's weekend away with family.

While it was loads of fun it was also an eight hour drive one way. 

As you can imagine I'm pooped out.

A few weeks ago as I was thinking about the holiday and the timing of my trip.  I knew I would be too exhausted to do too much so I spoke up for myself.

I finally had the realization that I'm an adult and it's okay.

I don't feel like driving four hours to visit family and I don't really feel like killing myself with cooking and cleaning to have loads of people here.

So I asked my husband if we could have his mother(who is very low maintenance) up and take her with us to my grandmother's where the cooking will be shared pot luck style.

Today I give thanks that after 18 years of marriage I'm finally able to stand up for myself.

How does this translate to weight loss?

Well, how many times in your own life have you been working hard to loose weight only to get to a holiday and allow yourself to be overwhelmed with work or cowed by food pushers?

If this isn't a diet and it's really for life then we need to learn how to speak up for ourselves in a loving way. 

If you stop to think about it some of the ideals we have set up for ourselves are nothing short of crazy.

We will suffer in the name of saving face and trying to live up to some illusion of the "Perfect Family" or "Perfect Holiday".

If it's not just like a Currier & Ives post card it's not good enough and we're not good enough.

And so we cook from sun up till nearly sun down. 

We clean and clean and clean and rarely ask for help with all of it. 

Now certainly there are people who love to entertain and do all these things and sometimes I do too but not at every occasion. 

How many times have you been doing well before a holiday only to be derailed because you can't say no to pushy relatives?

We don't have to be mean but we can be lovingly assertive. 

It's not about pushing against "them".  It's about standing up for who we are and what our own values and goals are. 

And it's not wrong.

We are Gifted with this beautiful body temple.

No matter how you think you look the fact is that

It is sacred.

And, we are trusted with it's care and maintenance. 

So this holiday lets remember to

Honor the Gift.

Today I give Thanks for God, my body temple, my family, & you friends!



Happy Thanksgiving!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...