Monday, March 12, 2018

Twice Baked Potatoes Made With Greek Yogurt!





Since WW switched to Freestyle I'm always looking for opportunities to use Greek yogurt.

I found a recipe for full fatty twice baked potatoes today and thought I'd try making it with Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

Here's the scoop!

Ingredients

4 (8 oz) Russet potatoes

1/2 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt

1/2 cup buttermilk

1/2 salt

Pepper to taste

3 scallions, thinly sliced

3 oz reduced fat, shredded cheddar cheese

2 Tbsp Hormel real bacon bits


Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400 F.  Wash the potatoes well, scrubbing them clean.  Place them in the oven on a baking sheet for one hour or until a knife easily pierces the skin and meat of the potato.



After they're done and cool enough to handle, scoop out the insides, placing the "meat" of the potato into a large bowl.

Place the potato skins back in the oven and cook for another 10 minutes to crisp them up.



After the skins are out set them aside.

Mash the potato stuffing with a fork.  Then add in all of the remaining ingredients.






My leader, Nancy, got me onto buying the powdered buttermilk, which I love.  I don't drink a lot of buttermilk and every time I buy it for a recipe most of it goes to waste.



Using this powder is great.  I can reconstitute just what I need and it all keeps a very long time.

I also got lazy and bought the dried diced chives so I can just use them when needed as well.



They still taste quite good to me.

After everything is mixed together, re-stuff the potato skins with your mix.




Set the oven to broil and cook for 5 minutes or until the tips are lightly browned.

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR OVEN WHILE IT'S ON BROIL!!!!!

It is really easy to burn anything and everything with the oven on broil so watch it closely while it cooks.



So, points here is going to vary depending on the size of your potatoes.  It's rather difficult to find potatoes that small so I got something a little larger and simply used 3 instead of 4 potatoes.  Okay, truly I baked a 4th potato but kept it plain in case my son didn't like the twice baked ones. That's called Mommy Logic friends ;)

The original recipe I found called for 2 Tbsp of butter and 4 oz of cheese but I cut out the butter and decreased the cheese to 3 oz and it was still great.  

Mine came out to 8 points for about 1.5 potatoes.  

My picky son had never had a twice baked potato but he even tried them and loved it!

These were delicious and, given that my son will actually eat them, I will most definitely make them again.  

The really fun thing about these is that you could get really creative!

I saw some with chipotle chili and others with pepper jack cheese.  

You can serve it with chicken breast or whatever you like.  I even thought about doing shrimp at some point like a seafood potato.  

Lots of option.  Lots of fun.  

Eat up!


Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...