Monday, September 5, 2016

Beautiful Basil



I have never thought of myself as a plant person.

In fact, historically, if anyone were to ask I'd tell them I had the black thumb of death when it came to plants.

However over the years, as I've learned to cook more, I've really come to appreciate the sharp contrast between fresh and dried herbs.

There really is no comparison.

Fresh herbs have such depth of flavor and there's just something wonderful about seeing something good and fragrant and green on your plate.

I was lamenting my lack of botanical ability and my wish for fresh herbs to my sister-in-law who happens to have her masters in horticulture.

She said to me "Carrie, herbs are basically weeds.  You don't want to baby them.  Forget to water them and they'll still love you and it'll be great".

This year I finally got up the courage to try.

I most wanted fresh basil so that's what I started with.

I eventually also planted a parsley and cilantro but the basil has been the star.

I have been absolutely flabbergasted at how my basil plant has grown and, believe me, I have forgotten to water it often.

It's not just a little plant now, it's a huge bush!

The best part is that I now have all that lovely fresh basil for all of my dishes- pesto, pastas, marinara and on and on.

It's really been a lovely thing, not just to eat it, but to watch it grow and of course to know that I've done something new, something I believed I couldn't do before.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

I have been writing my blog for over a year now and at this point I am considering ending things here. If there is an outcry for me to con...